Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Carmel Wave


6x6"
oil on MDF board

The other day I bought new fabric for under my still life set ups. This is one of the pieces. I really like how the fabric folded. I spend one whole morning in the fabric store while there was a white out blizzard going on it was great! This painting is quite rich in real life. I am finding it very difficult to get good photos of my work with all the white snow as I photograph them outside. I get crazy light reflections which tend to wash out the paintings. I will be working on improving this.

5 comments:

Mary Bullock said...

I have found it works better to photograph paintings outside in the shaded part of the house - that is if it is a sunny day. If it is a cloudy day, any side will do. Also, it works to photograph in front of a window with indirect sunshine coming in. You are right about the reflected light off of snow - it adds another dimension to the problem of lighting.
Mary
The Figurative Realm of Mary Bullock

Unknown said...

Wow... love this. It amazes me when artists are able to render so much heft in a cup an saucer and place all that wonderful color in a smaller format.

Going to the fabric store was a great investment! Thanks for stopping by my little blog and your kind comment Deltra. HUGS

RobCarey said...

Yes, you really feel like you can reach out and pick up this cup- excellent piece.

Bonnie Mann said...

Another Winnier, Deltra! I really like this one. I know what you mean about getting good photographs. I tried yesteday to get a good photo outside with an overcast day and it resulted in washout even though I was in the shade. Ended up taking the painting inside and using indirect natural light. Still not perfect.

Deltra Powney said...

Thanks for the comments on this post and others. The cup seems to be my comfort object when I am at a loss for something to paint. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen!

Artist Talk at SNAP Community Gallery in Edmonton, AB

Hello Everyone, I would like to invite everyone to an artist talk I am giving this Thursday on new print based work that I have exhibit...